This page provides information on how to contact an agency representative at a placement of interest. This contact will be your first impressions…so make sure that you are prepared before sending an email or calling an agency.
- Do research on your agency first! Make sure that you have some basic knowledge about the agency before contacting.
- Check to make sure that you are using the correct name for the agency!
- When contacting, send an email AND leave a message. Some agency representatives respond faster to one method over the other.
- When making a phone call, be clear and concise. Have a script or an outline of what you are planning to say, either for a message or a live person, so that you don’t speak too long. Be prepared!
- When leaving your phone number, remember to speak SLOWLY and repeat it!
- Please make sure to have an appropriate, professional email address.
- When sending an email, use an appropriate, professional salutation (ex: Dear Ms. Williams).
- Career Services Center (CSC) at UNCG provides some helpful information in conducting an informational interview. They also provide examples of what to say/write.
Example #1: Telephone script
- Speaking with an actual person
Hello, my name is ________________ and I am a (class year) at UNCG majoring in Human Development & Family Studies. (pause…wait for their acknowledgement). I am looking for an internship for next semester and, if possible, would like to schedule a meeting with you to discuss internship possibilities. Is this a good time for me to try to set up a meeting with you or someone on your staff?
(If not)…When would be a better time for me to call?
(If yes)….I would like to meet with you for about 30 minutes at your convenience. Would you be available to speak with me during the week of _______________?
NOTE: Be prepared to discuss your internship on the phone. The agency representative may only have that time to speak or ask you questions to get an idea of who you are and your interest in the agency.
- Leaving a message; please remember to speak slowly!!
Hello, my name is ________________ and I am a (class year) at UNCG majoring in Human Development & Family Studies. If possible, I would like to schedule a meeting with you to discuss internship possibilities for the (fall/spring) . I can be reached at (555) 555-5555. Again, my name is __________________ and I can be reached at (555) 555-5555. (If applicable)…I will also contact you through email. I look forward to hearing from you.
Example #2: Email
Dear Ms. ___________:
My name is ________________ and I am a (class year) at UNCG majoring in Human Development & Family Studies. I have an interest in working with ________________________. I am in the process of researching internship placements for the (fall/spring) semester and I believe that your agency connects with my future goals.
I would like to schedule a meeting with you to discuss internship possibilities with _________________(name of agency). I can be reached at (555) 555-5555 or through this email. (If applicable)…I also left a message for you earlier. I look forward to hearing from you.